We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post.
Growing your own garden has many health benefits, not to mention it reduces your carbon footprint. I have created this handy Gardening Tips and Tricks to Prevent Global Warming Starter Guide to encourage you to consider the benefits of growing your own organic fruits and vegetables. The goal of this article is to point out the main benefits of starting an organic garden, and how to plant a diverse vegetable mixture to give you a healthy and well-balanced diet.
Benefits of Planting Your Own Organic Garden:
Here is a list of benefits that gardening can bring to your life:
- Reduces the amount that you spend at the grocery store each week. Consequently, the money you save can be used to fund your Roth IRA (Roth IRA: How to Become a Millionaire by the Time You Retire!)
- Reduces the transportation fuel (carbon output) used to ship vegetables across oceans and highways to get to your local store.
- UN scientists have released a warning stating that the world has less than 15 years to reduce the carbon output to nearly 0 or else face serious climate change consequences. Planting a garden is a way you can make a difference by helping sequester carbon from the atmosphere!
- Organic food tastes better because it is fresher and is able to ripen on the vine (instead of a gas chamber).
- It is an outdoor activity. Certainly, you can replace one of your indoor electricity using (TV, video games, social media time) hobbies with gardening. Keep in mind, Fossil fuels and coal make up nearly 62% of how we generate electricity in the U.S.
- Many people live in cities, which are cement jungles surrounded by black asphalt (roads and parking lots). That being said, dark materials absorb heat which is why cities tend to be hotter than their surrounding areas. Adding vegetation provides shade and breaks up all off of that dark material.
- Grow fresh vegetables forever! Fruits and vegetables have seeds that you can harvest at the end of the year. Meaning that you can use the seeds to start your garden next year!!!
- A fun and family-friendly activity that can inspire you to take an interest in the origins of your food and make better choices about what you put on your plate.
Health Benefits of Gardening:
- Eliminates the addition of chemical pesticides that you are currently putting into your body.
- No chemical fertilizers. In short, worm casting is nature’s Miracle Grow and is an all natural organic fertilizer! Read on to learn about worm casting.
- It helps you eat more fresh fruits and vegetables.
- Adds a bit of exercise to your life.
- Breath fresher air by being outside. People are often stuck inside an office all day. Taking the time to tend to your garden will give you an opportunity to enjoy the outdoors.
- Plants increase oxygen production. The air around your home will be fresher (less carbon dioxide).
Help Prevent Global Warming by Starting an Organic Garden:
Now that I have your attention with this serious list of benefits. Let’s get you started on your money saving, healthy, better for the environment path to an organic garden!
I have put together a gardening kit that will get you started on your journey. For additional resources, visit the Sustainability Shop 🙂
Inside the Survival Garden Seed Pack are carefully selected vegetables to provide a well balanced and healthy diet.
This seed pack comes with 32 varieties of all-natural vegetable seeds that are non-hybrid, non-GMO, 100% naturally grown, and open pollinated. Plus, a 14-page growing and seed saving guide.
- Kale Vates Blue Scotch
- Eggplant Black Beauty
- Green Bean Tendergreen Improved
- Zucchini Dark Green
- Lettuce Buttercrunch Butterhead
- Brussels Sprouts Long Island
- Lettuce Ruby Leaf
- Lettuce Black Seeded Simpson
- Bell Pepper California Wonder
- Radish Cherry Belle
- Okra Clemson Spineless
- Beet Detroit Dark Red
- Onion Evergreen Bunching
- Cabbage Golden Acre
- Corn Golden Bantam
- Cantaloupe Hales Best Jumbo
- Winter Squash Jumbo Pink Banana
- Tomato Beef Steak
- Lima Henderson
- Swiss Chard Giant Fordhook
- Cucumber Marketmore
- Spinach Bloomsdale
- Carrot Scarlet Nantes
- Turnip Purple Top
- Pumpkin Sugar Pie
- Cauliflower Snowball
- Pea Sugar Daddy
- Broccoli Waltham
- Winter Squash Waltham Butternut
- Sunflower Mammoth
- Parsnips Harris Model
- Celery Tall Utah Improved
The packets are USA Seed Stored in an airtight and moisture proof resealable bag for safer, long-term storage. Plus, the seeds have been tested for maximum germination and vegetable yield.
The Survival Garden Seed Pack is the perfect seed starter kit to bringing fresh vegetables to your kitchen table!
You can reduce the amount of waste that is headed to a landfill by composting your food scraps.
Another benefit is that composting recycles nutrients, which can be used to start your own organic vegetable garden.
Nutrients from a compost pile is better for your health and cheaper than purchasing chemical fertilizers.
This stainless steel bin controls odors naturally with an airtight lid and a replaceable activated-charcoal filter.
It holds 1.3-gallons of compost. It is big enough to hold several days’ worth of kitchen waste like vegetable peels, fruits, and coffee grounds, yet still small enough to fit on your countertop.
Dimensions: 7.16” in diameter x 11” high.
The compost bin is molded from one piece of metal, so it resists rust and leaks. Moreover, it does not leak toxic chemicals into your compost pile.
Benefits of Worm Casting:
I am sure you are aware of how healthy bacteria (probiotics) help us digest food. Well, worm poop (worm casting) combines enzymes and positive bacteria to provide plants with optimal nutrition content.
Many of the nutrients that plants need to thrive can be found in large quantities within earthworm castings. Nutrients include magnesium, calcium, potassium, phosphorus, copper, zinc, iron, cobalt, borax, manganese, nitrogen, and carbon.
High levels of microbial activity have the following benefits:
- Helps plants grow faster.
- Increases soil aeration, which helps plants absorb nutrients and allows their roots to breath properly.
- Increases water retention, which makes it possible to use 50-75% less water in some situations. Money Saved!
- Is all-natural! The consumption of fewer chemicals is vital to a healthier lifestyle. Worm casting allows you to grow “organic” vegetables!
- No heavy metals. Worms actually have the ability to absorb heavy metals like copper, lead, and cadmium from the soil. This means that the castings are heavy metal-free. This reduces the likelihood that those metals will end up in your vegetables and on your plate!
- Burn-proof. Often times fertilizers are too high in nitrogen, which burns your plants. Casting will never burn the roots of your plants 🙂
- It is a natural pesticide! Save money on pesticides while avoiding the need to spray chemicals.
- Increases your crop yield :). In 2014, Nature Research published a study that showed that crops grown in worm castings produce 25% more yield.
The nice thing about producing your own casting is that you will continuously produce natural fertilizer for your garden every month.
Producing your own casting will save you money over time, as opposed to purchasing casting from the store (which is typically packaged in a plastic bag).
I have included a video to shows how the worm factory produces approximately 6 quarts of worm casting per month.
What’s more, the cost of worm casting bought from a store can be as much as $25 for 8 quarts.
In sum, if you are serious about wanting to grow organic vegetables, making the investment in a worm casting kit is totally worth it!
The Worm Factory comes with a bonus “What Can Red Wigglers Eat?” infographic refrigerator magnet.
This allows you to quickly determine which foods are perfect for your worms, and which you should avoid.
Plus, the Worm Factory is odor free and included a 38-page instruction manual that is a step-by-step guide to managing your Worm Factory.
This worm casting kit has a built-in “worm tea” collector tray and spigot for easy draining.
I have included this instructional video to help you set up your worm casting kit by Growyourgreens.com.
To get your organic garden rocking-and-rolling with the worm casting kit, grab 300 hundred live Red Worms and you will be all set!
These red worms turn organic waste into nutrient-rich soil!
The manufacturer even guarantees live delivery!
The 10,000 Foot Overview:
Often times we feel helpless because global warming can feel like such a big problem to tackle.
But, know that you can make a difference by making small changes to your daily actions. We all got ourselves into this climate change dilemma, and we all have to pitch in together to get ourselves out.
Let’s look to ourselves before we look to judge how others act. We can make a paradigm shift towards a sustainable planet if we make it the new “cool thing to do”.
Followers will always follow the trend, so be a leader and make sustainability the “new trend”.
Planting a garden is a way you can make a difference and help sequester carbon from the atmosphere!
I have listed a few of the benefits of planting your own organic garden. With some creativity, you can think of many other reasons how gardening can benefit your health and the planet.
Of course, I encourage you to add additional gardening benefits or tips to growing a successful garden by commenting at the bottom of this article.
If global warming, climate change, and resource depletion are important to you, then pre-enroll for a free mini-course to learn about other money-saving sustainability swaps and actions that you can take to save the world!
Moreover, becoming a Sustainability Hero has health, environment, and budget benefits.
Click here to visit the Sustainability Shop to start using zero-waste, plastic alternative, and biodegradable products today.
The shop includes energy efficiency and water conservation conversion kits, solar products, zero-waste, and minimally packaged home goods.
You may be Interested In:
- 5 Plastic-Free Swaps for a Sustainable Bathroom
- 4 Solar Powered Eco-Friendly Gadgets for Campers
- 5 Ways to Save Money by Going Green
- Sustainable Living: Zero Waste Menstruation
If you have enjoyed this content, please remember to spread the word by sharing so that we can help others become Sustainability Heros too!
I encourage interaction, so please feel free to comment below!
Save Thousands by Going Green!
A FREE Checklist on How to Fund Your Retirement Account by Going Green.
Latest posts by Lynzee Lai (see all)
- Tax-Free Income: A Guide to Reducing Your Taxes Legally (Part 1) - March 13, 2019
- Sustainable Investing: How to Diversify and Perform Well in Any Market - March 5, 2019
- Financial Freedom: Investing in Sustainable Companies - February 27, 2019